Saturday, October 1, 2011

Walkabout

I've been walking around the block every Saturday and Sunday morning as part of my new healthy lifestyle. I try to notice something different each time instead of tuning out to my iPod (Blondie & Talking Heads mostly). Today my iPod battery was dead so I proceeded to walk with my ears au natural.
A soft rain was falling like teardrops from the sky. Not tears of joy or sadness, more like tears of indifference. The smell of the trees and grass rose up. It was the smell of the end of fall, of desperation, of knowing soon the winter would come and mask any green smells with its seasonal white out of sterility. There were few cars on the road. The houses I walked past were empty nests with nothing stirring behind the closed blinds. The zipper broke on my Red Sox sweatshirt, a fitting symbol for a crumbling 2011 team. I am rushing home to charge my iPod so this never happens again.

No comments: