Thursday, January 1, 2009

x-rays for x-mas

On Christmas day, my wife just put the delicious looking roast beef in the oven before
her crushing chest pains began. A half hour later we were in the
emergency room spending Christmas evening with the poor souls who had
to work on the holiday. You would think the place would be empty, but
quite the opposite. Sickness takes no time off around the holidays.
Luckily my wife's doctor was on duty at the hospital so we got to
confer with him on the cause of these reocurring dibilitating spasms
that have been happening to her since last spring. When the doctor
tells you your wife's illness is an enigma, it's never a good sign. He
is going to try some alternate treatments before resorting to
exploratory surgery since all the tests are coming back negative. I
called my son with cooking instructions over my cell phone so the
Christmas roast wouldn't burn while we were at the hospital. Hours
later, after an Ultrasound, an EKG, some X-rays and a shot of Demorol,
my wife was released. She spent the night sleeping while the boys and
I had a late night dinner. I poured an extra glass of wine for myself
hoping I wouldn't be heading back to the hospital later in the night.
Luckily, all is calm for the time being. I can't wait until the new year.

No comments: