Monday, September 21, 2015

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

     
Kings of the Mountain
This article is about what my son Max did on his summer vacation. It wasn’t really a summer vacation because he was working at an exclusive camp in northern Maine (so exclusive I can’t mention its name). Let’s just say, if your child attends this summer camp, money is no object. Along with all of the usual camp activities including swimming, horseback riding and arts & crafts, this camp also offers classes taught by top-of-their-field sports trainers and professional artists.
     The faculty at Berklee approached Max and asked him to consider taking a position at the camp to teach guitar lessons to campers during the summer. Along with his paycheck, he got room and board as well as use of the campground facilities during his time off. Max never taught classes before, nor had he ever gone camping, so he was happy to try both of them for the first time. I wished he was going to be a little closer to home; the camp was over three hours north, somewhere west of Augusta, Maine. The more I watched the news about the sudden rise in violence in Boston, the better I felt about Max taking his chances with severe weather and wild animals in the great north woods.
     In mid-June, we packed his luggage and musical gear into my Dodge Nitro and headed to the far north. Thanks to my GPS (and my wife’s driving) we arrived safely. Even though the camp facilities were immaculate, I still had reservations about abandoning my son in the middle of nowhere. Everything seemed too perfect, from the politeness of the camp greeters to their perfectly polished good looks. They were all super athletic, with golden blonde hair and gleaming white teeth. And there was Max, with his scruffy goatee and pasty white skin with only his guitar case for protection. As I drove away, I had visions of my son chasing my car down the perfectly groomed dirt road screaming, “Wait! Don’t leave me here!” But that was not the case. In fact, Max’s experience was the exact opposite.
     Max’s weekly telephone calls kept me updated on his progress as he adapted to his foreign surroundings. Although he’s very much a city person, he loved being immersed in something completely different from what he was used to back home.
     He made a lot of friends with the other counselors, even though there still exists a huge dividing line between athletes and artists. Max was able to navigate both worlds comfortably. He quickly bonded with Alan, a 22 year-old neuro-scientist who specializes in ceramic pottery. Like all of Max’s friends, Alan was intelligent, talented and living beyond the rules of classification.
     Time flew because of the camp's busy itinerary. Max taught guitar classes every day as well as working as Camp Counselor to the children assigned to his cabin. When another counselor left on short notice, Max was reassigned from his group of eleven year-olds to managing a group of fifteen year-olds. Although it was quite a challenge, he (and the campers) survived.
     At the end-of-camp Field Day festivities, Max and his fellow art counselors won the First Place trophy in a stunning victory over the shocked Athletic Division. So many close bonds were formed between campers and counselors, and between the counselors themselves. Max’s description of the tearful goodbyes at the bonfire on the last night of camp made me realize what a special experience this was for campers and counselors alike. And I’ve only scratched the surface of the stories I was told. I hope someday Max writes his memoirs of this special summer. It was quite eventful on a personal as well as physical level.
     When Max returned home, he was a much richer person from his two-month camp experience. He discovered he loves to teach. He understands how instructors can shape the lives of young people, much like the musical mentors Max encountered when he was beginning his musical journey. Being a guitar-teaching camp counselor was secondary to what Max learned about being a good person, and how doing the right thing is not always the easiest road to take, but it is the best one. The insight he got from hearing about the lives of these children from elite families who attended the camp was more educational than anything he could learn in school. Max wants to return to the camp next year to help other young musical artists find their career paths. I have a feeling he’s going to learn a lot more about himself as well.

No comments: